What is “Consignment”?
Consignment means to pay for goods after they’ve been sold. As a consignment store, we accept items brought to us for “consignment”. This means you receive a portion of the sale price after we’ve sold them. We do not buy items.
The process of bringing items to the store is described below.
|STEP 1||STEP 2||STEP 3|
|Decide What to Bring||Prepare The Items||Bring Them In|
|Check your wardrobe for items you don’t plan to wear again. Items that are still in style tend to sell best. You may not want it but someone else probably will.
Name brand items are recommended. Inexpensive brands from Walmart or K-Mart tend to sell cheap so the more name brand items you bring the better you’ll do.
|Review the items to make sure they are worth investing time for consignment.
||Once you’ve got your items laundered bring them to us. To ensure those items still have their freshly laundered appearance and still smell you are ready to bring them to us.
We require clothing be brought to us in one of two ways:
After we’ve processed your items you’ll be notified that we’ve completed this stage. You are asked to return to the store within 2-3 business days to pickup any totes or items we’ve rejected. If you prefer not to pickup rejected items a disposal charge of $5.00 per tote (or bundle) is added to your account. Disposal consumes man-hours when a store associate takes the items to a local charity.
The final portion of the consignment process is the payment. When a consignor’s items are sold we split the sale price with our consignor 60/40. The store receives 60% of the sale price and the consignor is paid 40%. Consignors can receive their payment in two ways:
- Check – Over the years we’ve developed the following system for issuing checks:
- Sales of items are split with the consignor 60/40. The store receives 60% of the sale price and the consignor is paid 40%
- We issue checks ONLY on the 15th of each month. You must request a check to receive a check. We do not automatically mail checks. You must call the store to request a check.
- Balance must be greater than $20. Balances under $20 will be paid once all your items have sold, at the end of the season or your account is closed.
- In-Store Credit – Consignors can use their balance as an in-store credit at any time.
The system we’ve described has been developed since 2001. Many of the facets of our system come from industry standards. However, while everyone, including ourselves, hate fees we’ve found that some consignors increase their level of cooperation with incentive. The following fees are disclosed in the contracts you’ll find under the “Forms” link.
- $5.00 Steaming Fee – We charge a $5 minimum steaming fee if we are required to steam your clothing. Steaming is required when clothing is wrinkled. We don’t sell wrinkled clothing because it violates our quality standards. Wrinkled clothing either doesn’t sell or only sells when it is heavily discounted. Steaming takes a LOT of employee man-hours and our steamers require diluted water. If you are one of the consignors who prefers to NOT bring your clothing items in a wrinkle-free condition our store associates will steam those items for you. Your account will be charged a minimum $5.00 steaming fee. The amount charged varies depending on quantity and type of clothing requiring steaming. The maximum amount is $20.00.
- $5.00 Disposal Fee – After we’ve processed your items we’ll notify you that we’ve completed the processing stage. At that time you are asked to stop by the store within 2-3 days and pickup your tote(s) and any items we chose to not accept. If you fail to pickup we dispose of the items and tote(s). We highly encourage our consignors to pickup tote(s) and any items we’ve refused so you can see what we’ve rejected and you can better choose what to bring us in the future. Many times consignors will miss stains, tears, rips, etc.. on clothing they’ve worn for months or years and the lighting in our processing room may be different from your home. Our staff is trained to look specifically for these quality deficiencies.
- $1.00 Check Mail Fee – If you’ve requested a check and prefer we mail you the check we will mail it to cover the cost of mailing it. We use a “service” to mail checks so checks mailed are typically delivered around the 20th to 22nd of each month.